ST JOHNS CATHEDRAL
The Governor, Sir Charles Augustus Fitzroy, the Governor of the House of Assembly, laid the cornerstone of St Johns Cathedral
in October 1843, and the Cathedral was opened for divine service four years later. It was consecrated in July 1848.
The Cathedral is built of freestone, and the interior is pitch pine. It was built in such a way to ensure the building would
be strong to withstand earthquake and hurricane winds.
The Cathedral has two distinctive 70ft towers on the west side. The south gate was originally the main entrance, and on top
of it's pillars are statues of St. John the Divine and St. John the Baptist. The iron gates at this entrance date back to 1789.
St Johns Cathedral now stands in place of two Anglican Churches that already stood on that site, the first wooden version having
fallen into disrepair by 1720, and the second brick version having being severely damaged in the earthquake of 1843.
Having being damaged again in the earthquake of 1974, the Cathedral now needs some restoration.
As the name suggests, St John's Cathedral is located in the capital of St John's on Church Street.